Re: Trypan Blue

Julie Oughton (oughtonj@ucs.orst.edu)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 18:07:52 -0800

At 05:07 PM 1/22/97 -0600, Viki Mosiman wrote:

> A while back (last year?!) we were doing a quite a bit of work with trypan
>blue for use as a counterstain. I presented a poster and a talk in
>Charleston where we demonstrated this technique for use with surface
>antibodies, in situ PCR, and in situ hybridization. We have successfully
>used it in single and dual color (FITC/PE) staining. The paper has been
>submitted, but if you'd rather get the info sooner than later, I'd be more
>than happy to share our protocol, and experiences with you.
>
>Drop me an e-mail.
>VLM646@nwu.edu
>
>Viki Mosiman
>RHLCC Flow Cytometry Core Research Facility
>Northwestern Univ

Hi Viki!

I am most interested in your protocol using trypan blue as a counterstain
for fluorescent staining. Have you also used your protocol for FACS
analysis? And for what type of cells?

We are working with mouse cells and have had problems with nonspecific
staining, on occasion, with macrophages and dendritic cells.

Thanks,
Julie Oughton
Dept of Ag Chem/Flow Cytometry Core Unit
Oregon State University