Re: absolute counts

Gerhard Nebe-von-Caron (Gerhard.Nebe-von-Caron@unilever.com)
28 Feb 1997 12:32:35 Z

A number of cents from my end (see purdue CD2 for further information)

Key problem in non-ratiometric counting methods are system dead times and=
flow =

inconsistency. Make sure your reference particles are not out of scale in=
any =

signal as that can fool your electronics. =

Absolute counts for beads can be calculated accurately from % solids and=
=

diameter and polymer density
(0.5u latex at 2.5% solids come at 3.64x10^11/ml)

Absolute counts with the Coulter XL work very well as long as the acquisi=
tion =

rate is below 1300 events per second. When counting 100ul (five 20ul cavi=
ties) A
display of time versus count tells you about clogging and excess flow rat=
e (>300
on 300 second timescale). Unfortunately versionII software cuts of too ea=
rly, so
only the data for 80ul can be used.

Counting methods
- Fixed volume counting or volume integration :
This method is used in most haematology analysers. The volume measurement=
is =

achieved by two electrodes acting as level sensors in a known geometric s=
et-up =

(Partec CAII) or by loading a cavity in a ceramic valve (Coulter XL) or a=
loop =

made of tubing as done in high pressure liquid chromatography instrument=
s. In =

all cases all events within the volume are measured. =

- Time integration :
This approach is based on the assumption of a constant volume flow over t=
ime. It
is best achieved by (syringe) pumps delivering the sample. Such systems a=
re =

implemented in the Ortho Cytron absolute and the former Skatron Argus flo=
w =

cytometer now Bio-Rad Bryte HS.
- Spiking with reference particles (ratiometric counting) :
This method can be used with all flow cytometers. It corrects for system =
dead =

times and the variations in flow rates that can occur in instruments that=
use =

differential pressure to deliver their samples. An example of bacterial c=
ounting
using a bead standard is given in Figure 5. The tight cluster of beads al=
so =

serves as an on line alignment control, particularly important when measu=
ring =

environmental samples that are more likely to block the flow path. =

=

Cell disaggregation
Single cell suspensions are essential for any form of accurate count=
ing. =

Aggregates only give rise to one single colony or event. If for example o=
ne cell
in a triplet is positive for a dead cell marker the whole aggregate is =

registered dead but will grow when sorted onto agar plates. Skin sample a=
re far =

worth as hundreds of bacteria can be attached to a single squame.
Cells can be dissaggregated by either chemical or mechanical meth=
ods. =

Mechanical methods have a broader application spectrum but can lead to pr=
oblems =

with filamentous organisms. Shearing by needles leads to problems with c=
logging
and is very tedious. Shearing with homogenisers is difficult with small v=
olumes =

and causes problems with foaming and sample carryover. =

Ultrasonic treatment is the most convenient method, but it is im=
portant
to apply reproducible energy levels. The geometry of the set-up and the m=
aterial
of the sample container has to be taken into consideration. When using a =
probe, =

energy loss can occur by coupling to ice cold water surrounding the sampl=
e =

container or by airbubbles trapped at the bottom of pointed vessels. =

Transmittable energy in an ultrasonic waterbath is sensitive to the leve=
l of =

water, its temperature and dissolved gas as well as its cleanliness. Soft=
=

container materials like polypropylene do absorb the energy in both syste=
ms.

some points of discussion

The high number of counts achieved by flow cytometry make the tec=
hnique =

superior to others with the regard of counting accuracy. By careful pipet=
ting =

technique and using 0.05% tween 20 to avoid cell sticking we could achiev=
e =

counting variations within 1% of the expected numerical counting error. =

The detection sensitivity of optical systems is limited by the =

statistical abundance of an event and the signal intensity separating the=
event =

from background noise. To identify a cell cluster it is desirable to have=
at =

least 100 cells in it. Thus if there is one organism per =B5l in the fina=
l sample =

volume, 100=B5l have to be measured. Relative frequency is another limit =
to the =

measurement. To detect a log 3 reduction equivalent to an event frequency=
of =

0.1% 100.000 events need to be screened to see 100 wanted cells. Good sig=
nal to =

noise ratio is therefore important, as, at lower relative frequency, the =

labelled cells are end up within the standard deviation of the unlabelled=
=

events. =

Signal to noise ratio is also limiting the speed of measurement, =
as with
increased sample / volume throughput the variations broaden but in partic=
ular =

the background fluorescene increases due to free fluorochrome. We current=
ly run =

flow rates below 10=B5l/min which leaves us with a practical sensitivity =
of =

approximately 10^3 within 10 minutes. Lower concentrations require pati=
ence or
pre-enrichment by physical or biological means.

Key problem in other counting methods are system dead times and flow =

inconsisteny. Make sure your reference particles are not out of scale in =
any =

signal as that can fool your electronics.

Gerhard Nebe-v.Caron
Unilever Research, Colworth,
Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire
GB - MK44 1LQ